Full Retro-Commissioning for Existing Buildings
Retro-Commissioning (RCx) helps Pepco's commercial and industrial customers assess energy efficiency in their facilities, identify energy-saving opportunities, and optimize their existing systems.
RCx is a systematic process that optimizes energy use and overall energy efficiency in an existing building over a sustained period. In addition to improving operational efficiencies that yield energy savings, the RCx process also provides non-energy benefits such as improved comfort, enhanced air quality, and increased occupant satisfaction. This is designed to encourage a comprehensive review and implementation of as many building energy efficiency improvements as possible.
The most cost-effective electricity savings will likely result from larger customers with specific types of facilities. Therefore, facilities must meet the following criteria:
- Energy use Benchmarking is required, as a pre-requisite or as part of the RCx process.
- Higher-than-average electrical intensity (kWh/sq.ft.), based on an analysis using the EPA Portfolio Manager software or DOE CBECS Data.
- More than 2 years old (this requirement recognizes that buildings less than 2 years old may not have one entire year of utility data to reflect a “fully occupied” building and consistent operating pattern).
- A minimum of 75,000 sq. ft. of conditioned space.
- The presence of an energy management system (EMS) with or without direct digital controls (DDC).
- Mechanical equipment in relatively good condition.
- Unusually high number of occupant comfort complaints.
Only building components that affect electricity usage and demand will be considered for incentives. Example of systems deemed part of the commissioning incentives would include HVAC systems and energy management systems (including lighting control systems).
|Incentives for Retro-Commissioning are provided in three phases, with a maximum total incentive cap of $0.25 per square foot of conditioned space.|
|Phase I |
Retro-Commissioning (RCx) Plan
|Once the RCx Plan (see Technical Resource Manual) has been developed and approved, the Program will pay an incentive of $0.05 per square foot of conditioned space, not to exceed 75% of the RCx Plan costs. This incentive will be held in reserve for the customer until Phase II is completed.|
RCx Investigation Report
|Once the RCx Investigation Report and associated services (see Technical Resource Manual) have been approved, the Program will pay an incentive of $0.10 per square foot of conditioned space, not to exceed 75% of the reported costs. Phase I incentive will be paid at this time also. |
RCx Implementation Report
|Once the RCx Implementation Report (see Technical Resource Manual) has been approved, the Program will pay an incentive of $0.10 per square foot of conditioned space, not to exceed 75% of the implementation costs.|
If you have already started RCx in your building, you can still qualify for incentives. Here’s what you need to do:
- Determine which phase you are currently in; see the Technical Resource Manual for the requirements of each phase.
- Submit report(s) for all phases that you have completed, along with an application for pre-approval of the subsequent phase incentive.
- Once you are pre-approved, you may begin RCx Program activities.
The program is not accepting applications at this time. Review the most current Program Update
for additional details.
If you have questions, call or email our customer service office, below, and a program representative will be able to assist you.
C&I Energy Savings customer service: 1-866-353-5798
Resources for Retro-Commissioning
Association of Energy Engineers
National Environmental Balancing Bureau
Building Commissioning Association